If applying for Portland State University credits, there is a simple process to follow to ensure that you will successfully gain your college credits.
Please note that Seattle Central College (rather than Portland State University) is our only option for those looking to gain college credits for Summer Programs. Please go here for more info.
Portland State University (PSU) operates, as most larger Accredited State institutions do, on a quarter-credit basis. This means that three-quarters (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer) usually counts as a full academic year.
A “Full Time “ semester for most colleges is USUALLY, 12 semester-credits which equals 18 quarter-credits, or a ratio of 1.5 :1.
This means, if you wanted to come on a Pacific Discovery Program and qualify for equivalent to a full semester worth of credit, you would need to enrol in 5 classes.
It is important to clarify that the responsibility on completing requirements to qualify lies with the student, not Pacific Discovery. So please understand the steps you need to take to ensure you gain your credits.
ANTH 299 – 4 CREDITS
PEOPLE AND PLACES – HOW LOCATION AFFECTS CULTURE
GEOG 299 – 4 CREDITS
GEOGRAPHY OF GLOBAL ISSUES
PHE 299 – 4 CREDITS
HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS AND THE AFFECTED
PHL 299 – 4 CREDITS
INTRODUCTION TO SPIRITUAL / RELIGIOUS STUDIES & THEIR ROLES IN CULTURE
PSYCH 299 – 4 CREDITS
CULTURE AND ITS INFLUENCE ON THE WAYS PEOPLE OPERATE
SOC 199 – 4 CREDITS
SELF AND COMMUNITY – CULTURE, COHORT, SELF
HIST 199 – 4 CREDITS
COLONIALIZATION AND WESTERN INFLUENCES
INTL 199 – 4 CREDITS
GLOBALIZATION AWARENESS AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
INTL 299 – 4 CREDITS
LEADERSHIP ACROSS BORDERS
ESM 101 – 4 CREDITS
ESM 102 – 4 CREDITS
ESM 199 – 4 CREDITS
CLIMATE CHANGE AND ITS IMPACTS
For a more detailed description of these papers offered, please click here .
1. Apply for the Pacific Discovery Program you like. You need to first be accepted to our programs to continue!
2. Once accepted (woop!) you will have access to the course descriptions and a write up for costs, the expectations for work, and a clear communication of the complexities of credit transfer. We will at that point give you lots of helpful information and links to help you understand the relevant FAQ page on the GYA website and will ensure you acknowledge this information and understand it.
3. You will go to https://vikingsabroad.pdx.edu/ and register as a “NON-PSU STUDENT”. No fees are collected yet. You will then enter some info about your program… when you’ll be abroad, the name of the program (eg. Pacific Discovery), and some basic bio information. this will set up a login for you, that you will need later on to access your transcript. Aside from this step and getting the transcript, all other program related information, applications and payments will happen via Pacific Discovery.
4. Report back to Pacific Discovery that the above is complete, confirming which college courses you elected to take (Please make this 4 weeks prior to PSU term to save $$).
NOTE: You can add/change/drop any individual courses at any time, but changes will need to be logged and a $100 penalty will be incurred if you drop all PSU courses after you submit your roster. There is also a $100 late or “rush fee” if you elect to take courses after the roster is submitted.
5. You will pay Pacific Discovery a US$1,700 flat fee for as little as 4, or as many as 18 credits per term. This is for administering the college credits.
6. Off you go on your amazing program adventure (Woohoo!), making sure you complete all the requirements on program and papers on return. Click here to learn more about what the requirements are…
7. You then submits their journal and all papers to the GYA PO Box by the relevant dates: June 20/ January 20th.
8. Grading instructor assesses and gives grades to PSU.
9. You head back to your Vikings Abroad login to order an official transcript.
Once the Instructor of Record pushes the grades to PSU, it takes them as long as 6 weeks – although typically only 2 weeks to process. If a rush is needed for ongoing transfer or a progress report, you should contact email@example.com to see about a special case.
All re-writes are the discretion of the grading instructor and must be pursued privately between the student and the grading instructor. Extensions, and exceptions must also be cleared by the instructor of record.
Students technically have a full year to complete coursework. Extensions are at the discretion of the grading instructor and must be individually asked for. If students do not ask for an extension and do not submit coursework, they will still be charged full fees. The official deadline is June 20 / January 20th for submission of papers.
To learn more about Pacific Discovery’s College Credit capabilities and Institutional partnerships, click here
To learn how to gain up to a full semester’s worth of credits for one program, click here
To check out the PSU course options available for credit, click here
To discuss this further with the Admissions Director at Pacific Discovery, click here
What financial aid is available for these programs? Click here to learn more
Have another question? Check out the PSU FAQs here